Sunday 10 August 2014

Lemon Parmesan Fish with Lemon & Garlic Roasted Broccoli


Another hot and hazy summer day!  Actually hotter in the house then sitting in the shade outside.  Today I do not want to spend any more time in the kitchen then necessary and do not feel for anything too heavy… I believe a fish dish is the answer. 

Debating on what is best buy fresh or frozen?  I have always bought fresh.  Fresh wild Pacific sole at $1.99/100 g.  What is that in lbs? A package of 6 frozen sole filets was 6.99 and I really only wanted 3 pieces; ended up buying fresh sole for a total of 3.99.  With that and 1 lemon total bill less than $5.  Good excuse to pick up a bottle of wine.  Dinner outside is in order for the day!  Did some rearranging… Heavenly!  Everyone should know the joy of escaping to and enjoying your own backyard!
Dinner was stalled due to the baseball game.  Bottom of the 14th; tied at 5 for Toronto Blue Jays and Detroit Tigers.  If the jays make a run; its over!  Holding my breath.  Covered everything in tin foil to keep warm; will just toss salad and warm up rice and we are all ready to go!



Lemon Parmesan Fish
3 pieces of sole
½ c crushed cornflakes
1 T grated parmesan
1 T butter
1 t shredded lemon peel
¼ t ground black pepper
Lemon wedges

1.   Thaw fish if frozen, pat dry with paper towel
2.   Preheat oven to 450.  Coat pan with non-stick cooking spray. 
Place fish in prepared pan.
3.   In small bowl, combine cornflakes, parmesan cheese, melted butter, lemon peel and pepper.  Sprinkle crumb mixture on top of fish.
4.   Bake until fish flakes.  Easily allow 4 -6 minutes per ½ inch thickness.  Serve with lemon wedges.

Approx 158 calories/5 carb
Adapted from:  BHG Low Carb Cooking Magazine



Lemon and Garlic Roasted Broccoli
1 large head of broccoli, sliced into 1" florets
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
salt and fresh ground black pepper

In a large bowl, toss together broccoli, garlic and lemon - drizzle with oil and gently toss again to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
Place into the oven and roast, along with the fish, tossing the vegetables and rotating sheets halfway through, until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.


As I type, baseball game still in progress!!!   I clear the dishes as Hubby rushes to watch the end of the game.  

Icing on my Cake:  dishes done; go back outside to enjoy a glass of wine.  While I am doing so, I watch a humming bird (yes, they make my world stop) feeding on the butterfly bush and blue flowers (must get the name as they were not what I thought) just feasting; a good 10 mins on those blue flowers in the garden.  Hoping the coneflower really take off in that spot next year!

Come in to find my hubby and neighbour ... okay I have to admit they pulled a fast one on me... what inning is it I ask... its over sue, they lost.   Oh, I am so sorry... it was for that reason I went back outside... didn't want to jinx them... I then start to relay my humming bird story.. and they laugh and say the Jays one, bottom of the 19th.  The longest game in Jays history!  

God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment