Wednesday 30 August 2017

Steak & Kidney Pie


How do you express your love?  Hubby's birthday and I  decided to bake him a Steak & Kidney Pie.  But where do I find recipe?  Google?  No luck; called  Carolina,  the best chef we know; she can make a meal from nothing and you are licking your fingers wanting more!   Hubby used to rent bsmt from them over 20 years ago and she would bake him a pie every year for his birthday.

Verdict:

Well, I am the first to admit that Carolina is still #1 in my books when it comes to Steak & Kidney pie; although hubby wolved it down (he just loves the smell and the taste of the meat) I was disappointed as the gravy in the pie should have been a bit thicker!

Although I feel I did not meet her standard; K already tasting the meat mixture and in heaven!  When telling her after the fact she laughed and said "this is why we love to cook for him! : But hubby did admit, with love, that she did make it to perfection her very first time!  She gladly offered to make one together which make hubby grin from ear to ear which is why we love her to pieces!  But I think the fault was cooking 5 hours in crock pot vs stove so I will have to try another time:)

But that's not to say not good; meat was fantastic!  I had drained some of the juices prior to putting in the pie shell and made gravy which was awesome and leftovers will be amazing next day! My only complaint;  for the pie itself -  no gravy consistency like a true English  meat pie :(

Nope, haven't given up yet!  Next time will be even better!



No comments:

Post a Comment