Monday 28 August 2017

Roasted Beet Wellington


This was the hit of the party and a great the next day!  In fact, I think I enjoyed them more (but that might actually be more for the fact that all I had to do was warm them up)  Have to admit that working with phylo makes me so nervous; so fussy and temperamental!
Will definitely attempt this dish again as it really did receive rave reviews!   

Ingredients:
2 -3 beets
1/4 c olive oil
1 t fennel seeds
1 t black peppercorns
1  3" sprig of fresh rosemary (I stole one from my neighbour's garden)
1/2 t salt
1 large leek (white and light green parts only)
4.5 c of chopped baby kale
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 t peper
6 oz soft goat cheese
4 sheets phylo pastry
poppy seeds

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400
In small baking dish, toss together beets, oil, fennel seeds, pepper corns and rosemary sprig and1/4 t salt.  Cover dish with aluminium foil and bake for 45 - 60 mins.

Using tongs, transfer beets to a cutting board.  when beets cool enough to handle, slide off and discard skins.  Cut beets into bite sized pieces

In a large skillet, heat up 2 t oil.  Add leek and saute, stirring frequently, until tender (about 3 mins).  Add kale, garlic and ground pepper, chopped rosemary and 1/4 t salt tossing frequently with tongs until garlic is fragrant (1 - 2 mins).  Add 2 T of water cover and cook stirring occasionally until kale is tender.  Transfer to a large bow and let cool for 10 mins.  Add beets and goat cheese and lightly mix.

Now here's the scary part.... phylo is so fussy... but by the end of the process I think I was getting the hang of it...

take 1 phylo sheet and I placed on my cutting board (big work surface)
recipe states you should brush phylo with remaining oil mixture from beets in oven
then put a 1/4 of the mixture in bottom corner of phylo.
Fold the adjacent up diagonally into a triangle shape.
Continue folding diagonally until you reach the end of the phylo
folding over and pushing in the end of the triangles slightly
place on cookie
brush with more oil and bake until golden brown

well I had made a double batch as appetizer for my summer garden party
by the time I had made my 4 tart I was in a tizzy
worried that taking too long, phylo drying up (not good)
so... ended spraying each phylo with cooking spray (so much faster and more coverage)
and repeated process above.  This is how I will work with phylo in future. 
Cooking spray, olive oil - wonderful thing!

Per serving / 1 triangle:   391 calories
served with Kale salad on the side
Cheers


adapted from Clean Eating Jan/Feb 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment