Sunday 5 April 2015

Spaghetti and Meatballs


This dish was a definite hit with Nazli, so a definite keeper in my world! Dave out at a family function so tonight I picked girls up from their Yai Yai. 

Although I knew the plan was they were coming for dinner.  But I had to wonder, every Grandma would feed them something to eat, no?  But I did not want to assume, so I made spaghetti & meatballs as she told this was her favourite dish.  

Although the girls not hungry, when I advised what I made for dinner Nazli stated  "I will eat some Auntie Sue"  and my heart melted.  And happy to report that my pickiest critic loved it!  Which made my heart sing J


1 T olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves minced
1 lb ground turkey
½ lb ground pork
½ c Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
¼ c grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
2 egg whites
¼ skim milk
2 t Worcestershire sauce
¾ t salt
¼ t pepper
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 t dried oregano
¾ lb spaghetti
shared Parmesan cheese to taste

Note:  Nazli prefers Mozzarella

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray

Heat a non stick skillet over med high heat.  Add oil, onions and garlic.  Cook, stirring occasionally until golden.  Set aside.

Combine meat, bread crumbs, grated parmesan cheese and remaining ingredients thru to salt & pepper.  Include half of the onion mixture. 

Shape into balls, receipe called for 20 but I made them smaller and worked out to 44 meatballs

Bake for 20 mins or until lightly browned

Bring tomatoes, oregano and remaining onion mixture to a boil in a large sauce pan; add the meatballs and simmer for approx. 20 mins

Meanwhile, cook spaghetti as per package instructions.  Drain. Toss with meatballs into a large serving platter and serve with shaved Parmesan cheese 

And what I love about this dish, as it serves 10, you can freeze the remaining portions for another day!

I always serve with green salad and crusty bread J

Courtesy of Weight Watchers Cookbook
Per serving / 4 meatballs, ¼ c of spaghetti and sauce/ 319 calories/Points 6


No comments:

Post a Comment