Wednesday 11 October 2017

Walnut Pumpkin Jelly Roll Dessert

Saw this recipe while waiting in the grocery check out line and thought I would make as a thanksgiving dinner dessert.   Easy enough but I found it very sweet.  I was ready to write it off; but went out for thanksgiving hike with my nieces next day and packed them up some before they headed on their merry way.  Well, they texted me to say it was seriously good!  Gave me the confidence to bring to thanksgiving gathering at the Ks.  Well I am very glad I did.  It was a hit.  Good friend nudged me to post 3 times over the course of the night so here it is :)



Ingredients
3 large eggs
1 c sugar
2/3 c canned pumpkin
1 t lemon juice
3/4 c all purpose flour
2 t cinnamon
1 t baking powder
1 t ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1 t pumpkin pie spice
1 c chopped walnuts

Filling:
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1 c sugar
1/4 c butter, softened
1/2 t vanilla extract

Directions:

Line a greased 15x10 in baking sheet with wax paper, spray with non stick cooking spray

In a bowl, beat eggs for 3 mins.  Gradually add in sugar and continue beating for 2 mins until mixture becomes thick and lemon coloured.  Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice.  Combine dry ingredients and fold into pumpkin mixture.  Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.  Sprinkle with walnuts*

Bake at 375 for 12- 14 mins.
Cool for 5 minutes
Turn cake out of pan onto a clean kitchen towel dusted with sugar.
Gently peel off waxed paper and roll up cake in towel jelly roll style. 
Cool completely on wire rack.

combine filling ingredients in a bowl; beat until smooth.
Unroll cake and spread filling evenly to within 1/2 inch of edges.
(*this is where I chose to sprinkle walnuts;  found it broke up the sweetness & added texture to the filling)
Roll up cake again without the towel and refrigerate at least 1 hour before cutting into slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment